One of the decisions made by Ship owners that can impact their fleet both operationally and financially is the selection of the most appropriate ship registry. The flagging decision for ship owners and managers is a complex matter and requires the careful consideration of multiple operational, legal and technical criteria. The Malta Flag is a flag of confidence with a total gross registered tonnage of 76.1 million and is considered to operate under the highest technical and safety standards. Malta’s accession in the E.U. has made the Malta Flag more attractive to both operators and charterers since vessels flying the Malta flag are E.U. vessels.
- Largest European Maritime Flag
- 6th Largest Maritime Flag in the World
- Competitive ship registration fees and low company formation costs
- Progressive reduction in registration costs for younger ships
- On the White List of the Paris MoU and Tokyo MoU
- No trading restrictions and preferential treatment to Maltese ships in certain ports
- Meets the flag criteria for a Low Risk Ship
- Malta is a party to the major International Conventions
- No restriction imposed on the nationality of crew
- No restrictions on the nationality of the shareholders or directors of Maltese companies
- Straightforward and quick registration procedure
- The Malta Registry has more than 40 years experience and reputation of high quality services and professionalism
- Wide spectrum of vessels eligible for registration
- 24 Hours, 7 days a week service for urgent cases
Once a vessel is provisionally registered, registration, transfer and discharge of mortgages may be effected immediately on presentation of the relative documents to the Registrar.
A ship registered in Malta together with its equipment, machinery and other accessories, or any share therein, may be made a security by way of mortgage.
Maltese mortgages offer adequate protection to ship financiers for the following reasons, among others:
- They enjoy a high priority in an eventual ranking of claims against a Maltese ship
- Mortgages constitute executive titles and may be enforced immediately without the need to institute lengthy court proceedings
- They attach to any proceeds from any indemnity as well as any insurance proceeds
- A mortgagee may prohibit the registration, without his prior written consent, of subsequent mortgages in favour of other creditors, unless such further mortgage is executed in favour of an existing mortgagee
- The Registrar of Ships is bound to notify the mortgagee upon the transfer of a registered ship to a new Maltese owner
- The sale of a Maltese ship to a foreign owner requires the prior written consent of all registered mortgagees
- A mortgagee may apply for any extensions, pay fees and do all such things in the owner’s name in order to maintain the status and validity of the ship’s registration.
- Dynamic Team specializing in ship registration under the Malta Flag
- Carefully designed in-house procedure ensuring full compliance with the requirements of the Malta Ship Registration
- We remove the administrative burden for the client
- Our team shall carefully assist and guide the ship owner through the registration process of their vessel from the initial acceptance by TM to the completion of the Permanent Registration
- Dedicated customer service throughout the registration process
- Competitive pricing
- 24/7 account manager to offer a personalized service ensuring full customer satisfaction
AML’s expertise in flag registration gives owners/managers a value added and personalized service, through the know-how of its registration department, which includes people with a seafaring background. Furthermore, the company’s excellent relations with the Malta Flag State, ensures that the reflagging process will be a smooth and efficient operation, thus giving peace of mind to owners.
AML-Atlantis Management Ltd specializes in vessel accounting and also offers ship owners/ managers accounting services as part of the registration package.